The Quaker Foundation was established in 1993 and has grown into a highly respected organization, working to enhance educational excellence by supporting academic and educational programs, as well as promoting alumni activities.
Lloyd Miller, NPHS social studies teacher at the last NPHS Awards night before his untimely death, suggests the establishment of an academic booster club at the school.
Randy Gibbs ('69), assistant principal at Welty Middle School, had the idea to sell imprinted bricks to put in the new sidewalk being constructed after the fire that destroyed much of the high school.
Gibbs presents the idea to Karen Jenkins, Assistant Superintendent. As they discussed how to use the money from the sales of bricks, Mrs. Jenkins thought of Mr. Miller’s suggestion and The Quaker Foundation was born.
Randy and Karen approached Richard Stephenson ('51), an attorney, who thought the plan was long past-due. He shared the idea with his former classmate, Orley Herron ('51), president of the National-Louis University, who also gave strong encouragement to the formation of the Foundation.
Dick Stephenson provided the legal expertise to incorporate the organization and drafted the code of regulations which directs the efforts of the Foundation. Members of the community were then approached and a board of directors was assembled.
The Quaker Foundation gets a new, permanent home at
124 N. Broadway. The office serves as a New Philadelphia City Schools museum of sorts, with displays of all types of memorabilia from 1895 to the present, including a library of Delphian Yearbooks, photos, newspapers, uniforms and other items, as well as a conference area for class reunion committee meetings.